Sunday, May 6, 2012

WWII

Soldiers day:
          I'm not sure what today's date is or what day of the week it is either. After a while, the days just begin to blur together one after the other. I always wondered how I would feel after my first kill and to be honest, you don't think to much about until the adrenaline dies down and you find yourself unwinding on either a cot or 2-3 foot deep hole reading family letters acting as an antidote to slip you back down into reality. I haven't slept in almost 3 days knowing this time of rest I'm spending on writing this letter could turn into another sleepless night if there are any signs of the enemy. Our location as of now resides somewhere in German territory. Yesterday, my platoon came across a sight words can't describe and my mind won't ever forget. Behind 16 foot fences of barbed wire was an evacuated 20 plus acre area of dead bodies everywhere. They were either burned, dismantled, poisoned in what seemed to be a chamber or starved to death. After reporting everything and reaching the limit of what our own eyes could take we quickly and steadily marched south and slipped into enemy lines battling for a solid 2 hours of war. We lost 7 of our men and won the battle but are still pushing to win the war.

Character in detail:
          One character in the movie that is probably written about the most is Captain  John H Miller. He didn't just wear the clothes on his back and his supplies but he carried and fought for his country and all the men he lead in battle. In the very beginning of the movie, he was probably the most nervous soldier the camera showed but knew what had to be done. His soldiers had all odds against them but even after the hundreds of men they lost he continued to push on. Captain John H Miller even said that after every kill he had, the further away from home he felt. Someone who was just an elementary school teacher with a wife back home found himself fighting to save a Private he didn't even know resulting in his own life being taken.

What would I have done:
          Honestly, I don't think anyone can truly respond to this section truthfully because know matter how much of the enemy we say we would kill and how brave we say we would be we will never know unless we are really in the war. It's easy to watch people die on a screen in front of you and get all hyped up but until a screenplay of reenactment turns into reality and that man beside you who just was shot dead and is your best friend, situations become real. Since I've obviously never been to war the best I can say is that I hope I would be one of the best soldiers when it came to getting the job do when it needed to be done. And when it then came time for war, a switch that only gunfire can trigger would change my mentality and I would enter a zone that I could only find myself in as entered the battle zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment